Monday, June 4, 2007

The Beginning

I actually didn’t begin my running career until the tender age of forty six. The dates are cloudy but I suspect that it was nearly six years after I’d abandoned my three pack a day habit, two years after I’d added thirty pounds to my midsection and lost of any kind of self esteem, disgusted with myself every time I passed a parked car or a storefront, always looking, always with disdain for what I had become.
There was a small gym not far from work, one built into an old, whitewashed, wooden, one story building. It seemed unthreatening but still a bit intimidating for a novice like myself, one who was not entirely proud of his current situation. I didn’t sign up that first day, venturing in after a wager with a friend who told me I would never take the initiative. It was three more days before I paid my thirty two dollars and scheduled my very first training session.
I wore my street clothes for the first couple of weeks, debating the longevity of this new routine, wondering if I had the determination and the stamina to fulfill this lifelong commitment.
I was still living with my wife and kids at the time but kept my new endeavor to myself, knowing that she would never accept any sort of deviation from what she considered to be “normal” behavior. Oddly enough, while dieting as well during this time she repeated over and over that what I really needed was exercise, condemning any attempt I made at weight loss. After four months and much derision, I finally admitted to her that I had joined a gym and that I was, in fact, working out almost every day in an effort to regain what was given to me at birth. She immediately leapt into one of her tirades, condemning the act and begging me to give up my membership, I’ll never understand..
I stopped in every morning at six, before my hour and a half drive to the new job, the one that was rapidly deteriorating; causing more aggravation than I thought was possible. I think it might have been the only thing that kept me alive during that year. I didn’t run in the beginning, I walked, walked on the treadmill and made use of the elliptical, never thinking that running was in my future, being told after my discs went out that running was actually out of the question, that the best I could do was stick to the recumbent bike, maybe that’s what inspired me.
It began simply as walking at a somewhat more brisk pace, occasionally breaking out into a jog until eventually I could string together a couple of miles.
It was another year and a series of back strengthening exercises and the graduation to a larger facility, having taken off twenty five of the thirty, no longer ashamed, no longer intimidated by the guys who appeared to be made out of brightly illustrated inner tubes.
There was a sign on the glass door, a two mile run in town before the St. Patrick’s Day parade. I thought I might try it, gradually adding longer runs to my workouts. I had a month to prepare.

2 comments:

Brady said...

Dear Chris,

Your blog clearly shows that you are an enthusiastic running fan, so I thought you should know about the World Championship Sports Network (WCSN). We provide coverage of Olympic and lifestyle sports, and our track and field site (www.wcsn.com/trackandfield) has become a premiere destination for track and field fans all over the world.

We will be broadcasting a lot of the IAAF Track and Field meets, and we are trying to reach out to passionate and knowledgeable track and field fans to let them know they can watch these events on our website, as well as view past meets on-demand, check out photos, get the latest news, and much more. We would like to offer you an FREE WCSN account so that you don’t miss any of the action, and can get excited and help promote our coverage of the World Championships in Athletics, the World Youth Championships, and much more.

Upcoming Track and Field Events:

IAAF Grand Prix 6/8/07 Lille, FRA
IAAF Grand Prix 6/10/07 Bydgosczc, POL
IAAF Odlozila Memorial 6/13/07 Prague, CZE
IAAF Grand Prix 6/17/07 Warsaw, POL
IAAF World Youth Championships 7/11/07-7/15/07 Ostrava, CZE
IAAF World Championships in Athletics 8/25/07-9/2/07 Osaka, JAP
IAAF World Athletics Final 9/22/07-9/23/07 Stuttgart, GER
IAAF Road Running World Championships 10/14/07 Udine, ITA

We also have a large archive of past events on-demand, such as the 2006 World Indoor Championships and the London Marathon. Please let me know if you would like a complimentary account and we will set it up right away. Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Brady Stevenson
World Championship Sports Network
(310) 921-7008
bstevenson@wcsn.com
www.wcsn.com

Home of World Champions

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris: You may have more company than you think. Your grandfather was an avid, graceful and powerful runner. In his late fifties he would run from Bland Avenue in Baltimore all the way to the little private airport some 30 miles away and back. My last dream of him, he was in a white satin running suit, cap tilted the way he always wore it and running down Chargeur Road. Maybe we all have someone by our side when we need it and maybe your grandfather is right there pacing you every step of the way.